Our doors will be thrown open for a free afternoon of making in W12 this coming Saturday.
A full list of all the activities we will be running on Saturday are shown below. The workshops in the maker space mentioned above and tours of the Advanced Hackspace will require you to sign up in advance. The majority of these bookable activities can only be booked on the day, however we have released spaces for the first Advanced hackspace Tour at 12:30 that can be booked via this link. All the other activities listed below will be running throughout the event so you can drop by anytime.
Otherwise we will see you all on Saturday from 12:00!
Saturday, 28th October 2017 12:00 – 15:00
The Invention Rooms, Imperial College London, White City Campus�68 Wood Lane, White City, London W12 7TA
We are just 2 minutes’ walk from White City station, on the junction between Wood Lane and South Africa Road.
We are celebrating the opening of this Inventions Rooms as a community space with a day of free maker activities:
· Make your own colourful felt from wool with Sabine Fouchier, our local White City crafter
· Create your own synthetic cell and beautifully complex artwork with just fat, and our chemist Anna Tascini
· Make cool stuff from natural materials with the friendly team from local environmental charity Hammersmith Community Garden Association.
· Interested in coding? Create your own animations and games with colourful monsters and animals that you control and move
around with Hammersmith and Fulham Adult Learning and Skills Service
· Learn how our ocean experts are turn waste plastic into something useful to protect our global seas
· Create jewellery from beads that reflect the diversity of cells within a cancer tumour, and discover which ‘cells’ contain biomarkers using UV light with Cancer Research UK
· Use laser cutters & LEDs to make light cubes, animal toys and steady hand buzzer games in one of our hands on Makerspace workshops (N.B. for ages 12 and up).
· Meet Nathaniel Petre, the main behind the world’s first 3D-printed, compostable surfboard made with natural waste
· Digitally scan your face and perhaps even get it 3D printed, before signing up to tour our new Advanced Hackspace to support future inventors in the heart of White City
(N.B. Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult).
· Make heart cells out of wooden lolly sticks, create heart and lung collages, play a bacteria logic game and get a heart painted on
your hand with our National Heart and Lung Institute.
· Ever wondered how nail varnish works? Discover the chemistry all around us with chemist Raquel Prado-Garcia and make your own decorations and home experiment kit
· Join our Molecular Endocrinology Lab to find out what bones are made of by making your own, and then have fun crushing them!
· Take your creativity into the 3rd Dimension with our own student-made virtual reality design software – Gravity Sketch
· Make paper drones then fly them in our special arena using the power of your smart phone with the Imperial Drone Society
Follow us on Twitter at @ImperialSpark or use #impfringe for the latest additions to the Fringe line-up.
For more information about the Imperial Fringe series and Imperial Festival, join our Facebook page or visit the Fringe webpages.